On Thursday March 14 your Church Council spent the majority of our meeting discussing our response to the actions at the General Conference held in February.
The Church Council took a number of actions.
Church Council Statement:
The Church Council of Saint Paul UMC, Lincoln refuses to accept the United Methodist stance that homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching. We affirm the rich diversity of sexual orientations and gender expression as part of God’s good creation. All people are beloved children of God embraced by God’s prevenient, justifying and sanctifying grace. We are seeking a path forward that will ensure the full inclusion of LBGTQIA people in the life of the UMC.
In addition, the Church Council approved the following actions:
- We will make public our intent to dissent against the petitions of the Traditional Plan.
- Affirmed that, Saint Paul UMC Lincoln will not discriminate in membership, lay leadership, staff or clergy based on (P.162) race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, disability, status, economic condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religious affiliation.
- Resolved that we, the Church Council of Saint Paul UMC Lincoln, will not deny the use of our holy space for same-sex marriages. We will affirm and support clergy who
choose to officiate these ceremonies. The council will propose this for action at a Church Charge Conference for congregation discussion and decision.
- We will hold discussion sessions regarding our affiliation/disaffiliation with the UMC once options are made available so that all voices within our congregation can be heard.
- We will undertake information gathering efforts to identify what other UMC entities
are planning and discussing. This effort will help our congregation to develop options for paths forward.
The Church Council felt it was critical that we make a positive strong statement regarding our thoughts on these important issues.
The Church Council will gather input from members of our Church throughout 2019 to assure any final actions are in concert with the opinions of our Congregation.
It is our plan that final actions will be taken at the annual fall all Church member Charge Conference. If deemed necessary, a special Charge Conference may be held after the Great Plains Annual Conference which occurs in late May.
Tom Lamberson, Church Council Chair